"No story lives on unless someone wants to listen. The stories we love best do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by the big screen. Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home." -- J.K. Rowling



Person: "What are you suppose to be?"
Me: *Points to ears* "I'm a dragon, duh!"

Please Don't Go, I'll Eat You Up I Love You So....

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Review: LIZZY SPEARE AND THE CURSED TOMB by Ally Malinenko!!

"MEET LIZZY SPEARE a normal twelve year old girl with a talent for writing, who has a very not normal family secret. And when Lizzy’s father vanishes, that secret will change her life in ways unimagined. (Spoiler Alert! It turns out that Lizzy, or Elizabeth S. Speare, is the last living descendant of William Shakespeare. Shhh! Don’t tell anybody!)

Then Lizzy and her best friend Sammy are kidnapped, awakening in the faraway land of Manhattan. Their host is Jonathan Muse, whose job is to protect Lizzy from becoming the latest victim in a family feud nearly five hundred years old. Could that be why the mysterious, eye patch-wearing Dmitri Marlowe is after her? (Spoiler Alert 2—he’s the last living descendant of Christopher Marlowe, a friend and rival of Shakespeare’s. But keep it to yourself!) Is Marlowe after Lizzy’s family fortune rumored to be kept in Shakespeare’s tomb? Does he seek artistic immortality? Or Revenge (with a capital R) for a death long, long ago?

In a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse, Lizzy and Sammy are thrust into the realm of the mythical and fantastic—from satyrs and Cyclopses to Middle Eastern cab drivers and Brooklyn hipsters—in what is truly “an improbable fiction” as the Bard himself once wrote."



I received this book a little while back, but due to the sad destruction of my KindleFire, I was not able to read it. However, I am glad to say that I finished reading Lizzy Speare a few hours ago and I really wish I had been able to do so earlier!

This book was great! It was witty, humorous, creative and at times, dark-ish.

It was such a fun read that honestly, anyone of any age would enjoy. It's filled with the fantastical in a urban fantasy-like setting that has all the heart of a Harry Potter novel. Honestly.

I don't like to ever give anything away that is not in the premise of the book, but this book had so many fun and magical moments that I really just wanted more. This novel has a purpose and meaning and some of the prose in this book is very powerful, especially in regards as it for a younger audience. The messages of deciding who you are and loving who are so true and wonderful. Kids should read this.

Lizzy herself was a wonderful protag. She was intelligent and questioned the things around her, people's actions. Even though she was afraid at times she remained brave and I really liked that about her,  though was still being a believable child.

I liked that the side characters had their own stories aside from what was happening with Lizzy and how it helped move the book to its very powerful and emotional ending.

It was a very, very nice and touching that was great. It was bittersweet.

In the end, Lizzy Speare and the Cursed Tomb was a wonderful novel about innocence, growing up and discovering your worth and realizing that though there maybe many doors in the world, you make decision to open the one meant for you!

I give Lizzy Speare 4 out of 5 Hearts!

Buy your copy NOW!: http://www.amazon.com/Lizzy-Speare-Cursed-Series-ebook/dp/B0098TBGHU

Thoughts??

~V

p.s. I truly, really, really (!) hope that this book is picked up by a film  studio and becomes an awesome animation!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds really cute. I'm sure my kids will love this. thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very great story! I'm sure your kids will love it too.

      ~V

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good. I might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete