"No story lives on unless someone wants to listen. The stories we love best do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by the big screen. Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home." -- J.K. Rowling



Person: "What are you suppose to be?"
Me: *Points to ears* "I'm a dragon, duh!"

Please Don't Go, I'll Eat You Up I Love You So....

Monday, November 26, 2012

Review: THE DARKEST MINDS by Alexandra Bracken!!

"When Ruby wakes up on her tenth birthday, something about her has changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government "rehabilitation camp." She might have survived the mysterious disease that's killed most of America's children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she's on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her--East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can't risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living."
 
Release Date: December 18th!
 
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken was an intriguing dystopian that had me flipping through the pages without stop!
 
Though I had did have some issues with the believability of this dystopian society, particularly the adults involvement or lack there off (no outrage, mom & dad?), Bracken's prowess as a writer is what managed to lock me in and keep me hooked and somewhat terrified, especially in regards to Ruby's camp. What a krazy place!
 
Ruby's world is pretty intense and this is YA dystop at it's top pick. I really enjoyed reading Ruby's interaction with other characters and the group of allies she forms was reminiscent of Harry Potter with the notion of a group of kids coming together to stop authority. Though Ruby's story has next to no light moments that the reader can laugh at, it was a nice band of misfits.
 
The disease that is afflicting the kids was pretty interesting, but was never thoroughly explored and explained in enough details to allow me to fully understand how some people die and others don't. I hope this is explained in later books and was not dropped in The Darkest Minds just because the author didn't feel a need to explain it. I believe it is the former.  
 
Ruby was a top heroine and though she wasn't as tough as Katniss, she was no Mary Sue and she knew how to survive! She was a strong and complex protag with a very intriguing history and mind. Her 'abilites' though oddly labeled, were pretty awesome! This book reminded me of X-Men in that regards, but Bracken takes the 'supernatural' aspect and makes it her own.
 
My favorite part? Not a silly at first glimpse/breathe/touch romance! It is awesome to see dysoptian not relying on a love story to have (what they believe to be) strong female characters!
 
In the end I really, really enjoyed The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken and cannot wait for the sequels!
 
The Darkest Minds gets 4 Hearts out of 5!!
 
Thoughts??
 
Are you gonna read The Darkest Minds???
 
Lemme Know!
 
~V

6 comments:

  1. Hmm I have been debating whether or not to read this one for a while now. I adored the author's first book, but this one is a lot different. After reading your review I think I am definitely going to give it a try(: I love adventure and this one sounds like it is a fun one!

    Nice thoughts on the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is very different from Brightly Woven, but honestly it is much better too. Bracken has REALLY grown as a writer and it shows. I think you should def give it a try!

      ~V

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read it. I love dystopian books a lot! Hope they make more Hunger Game books too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to read it. I loved dystopian. I think it is the best genre of books ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dystopian is very amazing if done well!

      ~V

      Delete