"No story lives on unless someone wants to listen. The stories we love best do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by the big screen. Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home." -- J.K. Rowling



Person: "What are you suppose to be?"
Me: *Points to ears* "I'm a dragon, duh!"

Please Don't Go, I'll Eat You Up I Love You So....

Friday, March 23, 2012

THE HUNGER GAMES Film Midnight Premiere Review!!!


So, I saw the Hunger Games last night, or this morning (?) ----

huuumhhmmm, er-

So, I saw the Hunger Games film at the midnight premiere and after the onslaught of trailers, including, The Host (this trailer was awful) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Twilight: Breaking Dawn pt 2, I was thrown into a 2 hour 22 minutes adventure, that I thoroughly enjoyed.


WARNING WARNING WARNING: Red text are spoilers - Read at your own risk.

First and foremost, Jennifer Lawrence's performance as Katniss Everdeen was amazing. Brilliant. She did such a horribly awesome, captivating and stunning job and at being this person, at bringing Katniss to life. She was perfect. She was - just wow.....

Though I was expecting, for some reason, a big budget action movie/ a film shot in that style, the film was actually almost like a documentary. It was shot in a way that allowed the viewer to actually experience the film through Katniss perspective at many points through out and that really did add greatly to the emotion and made you hold your breath anticipating what you know was about to happen next (if you read the books).

I found my self sitting utterly still, holding my breath, waiting and watching quite often - It was a very intense film.

The movie took it's time developing and though somethings where a little choppy and glossed over, when you sum it all up, it did not take away from the overall experience of the film.

When Katniss is in the tubes being sent up to the arena - I swear, that was crazy. The countdown was over 30 seconds long in real time and it was just - wow. Like I said, this film was intense.

The direction of the movie was very, very well done. Gary Ross truly did know what was he was doing, truly did know these characters and truly, brought them to life in the best book to film adaption in recent history (excluding HP, of course). Excellent job!

The sent of the games was genius. How they create everything - from the fire to the Mutts was brilliant! It was brilliant! And scary....I mean, I hope nothing like that ever, ever exist. Also, all of the Tributes were perfect. Glimmer, Clove, Cato, Rue, Foxface, Marvel - all just perfect and many of them perfectly crazy. Also, the way they show the Tributes dying, especially in the beginning - again, I was holding my breath.

The chase scene with the badass Mutts --- Holy Shiitake Mushrooms, that was scary!!! That was amazing and had my heart pounding.....
The style of the Capitol was pitch perfect and amazing. Everyone was crazy and awesome and very Lady Gaga looking! I'm actually surprised she didn't have cameo leading around a herd of her 'Monsters'.

Cato's scene at the end was great. It was sad and a honest, brilliant performance that had you feeling for this horrible character as he said, "I Was Already Dead." That was just amazing and powerful. But still, he died and I can't say I felt sorry for him.

The cave moments/kisses between Peeta and Katniss were great. I really, really liked them.

Greatness.....

This movie was just so good. I loved it and cannot wait to see it again and for Catching Fire to come out!

Though I love this movie and will be seeing it again, it was not perfect. Nothing is ever perfect, but there were somethings that I felt could have been done differently/better......

WARNING WARNING WARNING: Red text are spoilers - Read at your own risk.

Things That Are Different/ I Did Not 'Love':

There were somethings in the film that were changed, such as Madge being completely thrown out and the Avox Girl, barely making a glimpse.

Katniss receives the Mockingjay pin from Prim, after getting it randomly from a woman at a market and giving it to Prim who gives it back.

Katniss doesn't sing the full lullaby to Rue after she dies, though she does sing it to Prim in the beginning, so that sorta makes up for it.

It is implied that Katniss's father died in a coal mine explosion, but never actually stated.

There is more screen time for other characters such as Gale, Caesar Flickerman, and President Snow, none of which I had a problem with.

The Hovercrafts do not snatch up the bodies in the Arena.

The special effects at the showcase, when Katniss and Peeta are dressed in fire, was really horrible special effects. The entire stadium and the audience looked really, really fake - the CGI could have been WAAAY better.

The initial beginning with the unsteady camera was both really good and not so much. I liked the shaky camera/ documentary effect, but things were just too rushed and too slow at the same time. I think the lack of music to add t the atmosphere had something to do with that - things just felt awkward, while still being good.....?? hmmmm.......

The presentation of Katniss's nickname, Katnip, was awkward and felt very random.
Though I liked Katniss mom, I felt she didn't get enough screen time, but then again, of course she couldn't.

I'm sure there are other things, but none of them were that big and I can not think of anymore at the moment.

Overall, this movie was brilliant.

It was intense and dark and stylistic and just great.

You will love it. You just will.

I know I did.

The Hunger Games film gets 8 out 10 Hearts!!!
Catching Fire, hurry up!!!

Thoughts??

Hate it?
Love it??

~V

2 comments:

  1. I didn't get to see The Host preview! Or the Abraham Lincoln one, although I've seen that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the movie was good over all, though it would have been nice to have shown the audience why Katniss cared SO much about rue dying. I mean if you read the book then you would already know that it was because rue reminded Katniss so much of her sister, and they became so close during the games.But sadly they only had rue in the movie for about 3-5 scenes before her death :/ and the cave scene wasnt really fuzzy and touching like i thought it would be,then at the end Peeta and Katinss never had that talk where she revealed to him that what she did in the arena was all for the games, which was a part that i was SO looking forward too in the movie. But all in all i thought the movie was really good and i bet Catching Fire will be amazing too! <3

    ReplyDelete