"No story lives on unless someone wants to listen. The stories we love best do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by the big screen. Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home." -- J.K. Rowling



Person: "What are you suppose to be?"
Me: *Points to ears* "I'm a dragon, duh!"

Please Don't Go, I'll Eat You Up I Love You So....

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Review: WITCH EYES by Scott Tracey!!

Family secrets and darkness lingering at every turn and not everyone will come out unscathed!

Author: Scott Tracey
Release Date: September 8, 2011
Age Group: YA
Publisher: Flux
Sequel: Demon Eyes & Phantom Eyes
Page Count: 336
Source: Amazon

Description:

"Braden’s witch eyes give him an enormous power. A mere look causes a kaleidoscopic explosion of emotions, memories, darkness, and magic. But this rare gift is also his biggest curse.

Compelled to learn about his shadowed past and the family he never knew, Braden is drawn to the city of Belle Dam, where he is soon caught between two feuding witch dynasties. Sworn rivals Catherine Lansing and Jason Thorpe will use anything—lies, manipulation, illusion, and even murder—to seize control of Braden’s powers.

To stop an ancient evil from destroying the town, Braden must master his gift, even through the shocking discovery that Jason is his father. While his feelings for an enigmatic boy named Trey grow deeper, Braden realizes a terrible truth: Trey is Catherine Lansing’s son . . . and Braden may be destined to kill him."

The Cover:  The cover is fairly simple, but it still very cool. I wish the book had a better one, but this is not bad, just not best cover I have ever seen. 3.5/5 Hearts...

Teaser Quote: " Betrayer. Vandal. Savage darkness boiling under the sky is falling and silver defiance where there is nothing but pain and remorse like sickly green ashes touching the sky to draw the black fires from the heart." Now tell me that is not awesome! It's poetry!

My Thoughts . . . .

I liked this book a lot - I read it a day and simply could not put it down!

Tracey has created one of those unique worlds along the likes of Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments and Andrea Cremer's Nightshade Series where there is a supernatural reality within reality and Tracey has the potential to always revisit the world of Braden and the town of Belle Dam anytime in the future.

Though the world building in the book was not very descriptive, Tracey has hinted any many possible different things that this world has, such as vampires, shape shifters, werewolves, fey and demons and that is very exciting because their is an abundant of stories to be explored! I love it when a writer writes new stories set in the same world and I hope that Tracey does that after the Witch Eyes sequels.

I loved Tracey's writing style because it was very precise and descriptive without being overbearing. Braden's visions were so amazing to read and they read like poetry! I really, really loved them and would have liked more of them.

The story itself was extremely original and unique and I was very happy with the authors spin on the supernatural because he created his own lore and mythos, but did so in fresh and realistic way. The lore of witches and demons, etc were 100% believable.

The characters were probably my only real qualm with the entire story, not all of them, but just, well, two....

I did not like Trey at all. Trey is Braden's "love interest", but the two had no chemistry and Trey was just a momma's boy with constant mental whiplash. My other character qualm was the protag himself, Braden... Don't get me wrong, I like Braden a great deal, but there was two things that bugged me about him: 1 - He was a push over one moment and a bad ass witch the next and for some reason, that annoyed me. He let someone treat him like crap and then the next second he put them in their place, all in the very same page and I just didn't get it. 2 - Like I said before, Trey and Braden had no chemistry. I am very serious when I say, one moment they were arguing, then they were kissing and after one kiss they were boyfriends who knew everything about each other, without really knowing anything about each other and then they were fighting and then making up and then trying to kill each other....blahwhacasaoolopplowhat?!?!?

Yeah, the whole thing confused me....

I did not understand why they even liked each other....but oh well. It's a plus side in a way I guess, because the story was not bogged down my some annoying romance of "forever and always".

But I do have to say, that Braden is an awesome character because he does what you always what your protag to do: use the power he has and show everyone around them that he is stronger then all of you! It is one of the "AHHHH!" moments when the good guy shows the baddy what they really can do! Also, Braden can be pretty witty when he wants to, and that is always a plus!

The other characters were amazing! Jason and Catherine and Lucien were all complex and intriguing people who I could not get a grasp on. They might be evil or they might not.... That's good writing - When the reader is guessing who is bad or not.

The ending of the book was well done and satisfying, even though it was extremely open-ended, but I rather like it that way, especially since there are sequels.

I really enjoyed this book and will def be getting what Scott Tracey writes next!
Question: Should you read?

Answer: Without A Doubt!!

Story: 4.5/5
Pace: 4/5
Originality: 5/5
Characters: 3.5/5
Writing: 4/5
Ending: 4/5


Witch Eyes is 4 and half Hearts out of 5!!

Thoughts??
♥♥♥♥

~Valen

1 comment: