"No story lives on unless someone wants to listen. The stories we love best do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by the big screen. Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home." -- J.K. Rowling



Person: "What are you suppose to be?"
Me: *Points to ears* "I'm a dragon, duh!"

Please Don't Go, I'll Eat You Up I Love You So....

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Guillermo del Toro's DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK Review-ish Ramble!!



Note: I am reviewing (more like giving general thoughts) this film based on the fact that there is an official guidebook that goes with the film which I own and that I am reading. The book is called Guillermo Del Toro: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark: Blackwood's Guide to Dangerous Fairies and can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Guillermo-Del-Toro-Blackwoods-Dangerous/dp/142313401X. This book is really, really awesome and if your a fan of Fey, you should def check it out. Plus, it has grool pictures!

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is directed by Troy Nixey!!
The Cast:
  
Bailee Madison as Sally Hirst
Katie Holmes as Kim
Guy Pearce as Alex Hirst
Jack Thompson as Harris
Alan Dale as Jacoby
Nicholas Bell as The Doctor


Quick Plot: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is a remake of the 1973 TV film of the same name and it tells the story of Sally Hirst who moves into the long abandoned mansion of Emerson Blackwood with her father Alex and his girlfriend, Kim as the pair renovate the darkly, beautiful mansion. Sally, who is a rather lonely girl, spends her time drawing and crying and adventuring her new home when she befriends the evil Homunculi who want nothing more to feed on the bones of humans, her included. And they wont stop til they have eaten! *seriously, they wont*



The beginning of the movie was great, the middle of the movie was even better and the ending was the best. Everything else was just OK, but as a package the film really delivered. The creatures were pretty darn scary and creepy looking and extremely intelligent. I loved their voices, which reminded of Parsel Tongue and really enjoyed how realistic they seemed, in movement and everything.

The acting was good for the most part, though some scenes were questionable, on everyones side, though Bailee Madison did do an overall terrific job with her character. A part of me just wanted the film to focus on Sally, for everything to be from her perspective and not even show the adults faces unless they were interacting with Sally, but as the film progressed and I realized how dire the adults role in the movie was, I felt that it was best to have different point of views from different characters.


The plot was probably my favorite part of the movie, with the creatures kidnapping people to eat them. I always enjoy del Toro's ability to make the world of Fey even more scary. Visually this is a wonderful film and shots of the garden and the house are very fairytale-esque and reminded me of del Toro's other film, Pan's Labyrinth, which is one of my all time favorite flicks. And this reminds me of something . . . a few times in the movie, Sally is shown drawing spirals, which made me think of Pan's Labyrinth and led me to thinking, are Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark separate stories or all they all set in the same universe?? I wonder . . . .

The music was probably my least favorite thing of the movie. It had its moments where I felt it really bought the film to life, but in many other scenes it just drowned everything out. It was loud and tended to kill the moment of a suspenseful or emotional scene, that really didn't need any music, or if so, something lite.


Over all the film delivers as a whole and I found myself thoroughly enjoyed, though not once scared. At all. Though that could be because I'm not easily scared. Paranormal Activity 1 & 2? I didn't even blink when something freaky happened, though everyone around me screamed, so maybe that's just me . . .? I read that the R Rating wasn't what the filmmakers wanted or thought was necessary, but that the studio wanted the film to have it. Personally I think it will hurt the film, 'cus the younger audience who would generally go see the film wanting to have fun and to be frightened won't be able to because of the R Rating and that means less money. Oh, well . . .



In the End:

Is this movie the best film I've ever seen? No, it isn't. Will it be nominated for any Academy Awards? Probably not. Is it better then Pan's Labyrinth? Nope. But is it worth the watch? Yes. The movie is fully realized, with an actual plot and does have some creepy moments, especially if you get scared easily. Its extremely nice to look at, very character driven and has both awesome special effects and a great plot. The movie is good and is something you should go see with your friends and have a good time!

I give Don't Be Afraid of the Dark 3 and Half Hearts out of 5!!

Thoughts??

♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment