"No story lives on unless someone wants to listen. The stories we love best do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by the big screen. Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home." -- J.K. Rowling



Person: "What are you suppose to be?"
Me: *Points to ears* "I'm a dragon, duh!"

Please Don't Go, I'll Eat You Up I Love You So....

Monday, February 14, 2011

SISTERS RED by Jackson Pearce

Author: Jackson Pearce
Release Date: June 7, 2010

Age Group: Young Adult
Publisher: Little Brown
Page Count: 336
Sequel: Sweetly
Available At?: Amazon, B&N, Book Depository and Authors Site.
Sisters Red is a modern day retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, only in this story, Little Red kicks ass!

Authors' Site Description:

'Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris– the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She’s determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax– but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they’ve worked for.'



I don't know why I kept holding off on buying this book, I guess it was because I bought and read As You Wish, also by Jackson and didn't really care for it. But this book is great. No, seriously, really, really great! Rosie and Scarlett are fully fleshed and realized characters with real emotions and minds. Their realtionship is beautiful and well written and all of their actions are spot on. This book reminded me of Buffy, especially with the 'Potentials', though instead of kicking vamp butt, they destroy werewolves or I should say, Fenris.

Silas was a really good love interest, though I was slightly uncomfortable about the five years or so age gap between Silas and Rosie. But they are cute together and not at all campy, so that deteered my issues with the age difference. Scarletts behaviors and problems were so good and raw that I was never onced annoyed with her anger and thirst to kill, only enthralled by it. The story never had a dull moment and the Fenris were very creepy and awesome and I loved the way they died, which also reminded me of Buffy. Though at times (1 or 3) the story was predictable, I was never disappointed.

Jeez, I really like this book and can not wait for the sequels SWEETLY and possibly, FATHOMLESS and whatever comes next!!! In the future I hope to read more about the March Sisters.

Story: 5/5
Pace: 4.5/5
Originality: 4/5
Characters: 4.5/5
Writing: 4.5/5
Ending: 4/5

Overall, A 4.4!

Visit the Author: http://jackson-pearce.com/, http://www.youtube.com/user/JacksonAPearce and Her Weekly Livestream Chat Every Wednesday at 8:00 p.m. at http://www.livestream.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment