"No story lives on unless someone wants to listen. The stories we love best do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by the big screen. Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home." -- J.K. Rowling



Person: "What are you suppose to be?"
Me: *Points to ears* "I'm a dragon, duh!"

Please Don't Go, I'll Eat You Up I Love You So....

Thursday, February 24, 2011

THE IRON THORN by Caitlin Kittredge

Author: Caitlin Kittredge
Release Date: Feb 22, 2011
Age Group: Young Adult
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Page Count:
512
Sequel: The Iron Codex Series(?)
Available At?: Amazon, B&N and Author's Site


Steampunk, insanity and magic, love and misery!



Amazon Description:

'In the city of Lovecraft, the Proctors rule and a great Engine turns below the streets, grinding any resistance to their order to dust. The necrovirus is blamed for Lovecraft's epidemic of madness, for the strange and eldritch creatures that roam the streets after dark, and for everything that the city leaders deem Heretical—born of the belief in magic and witchcraft. And for Aoife Grayson, her time is growing shorter by the day.
Aoife Grayson's family is unique, in the worst way—every one of them, including her mother and her elder brother Conrad, has gone mad on their 16th birthday. And now, a ward of the state, and one of the only female students at the School of Engines, she is trying to pretend that her fate can be different.'


THE COVER FOR THIS BOOK IS INCREDIBLY GORGEOUS!

I pre-ordered this book the moment I saw it and it arrived the day before it came out and that was grool! The book is new, so details will be sparse. Firstly, you should defo read this book. Maybe not buy, but library it, unless you LOVE steampunk fiction, which I don't. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I bought this book because I really enjoyed it but . . . we had some issues.


This book reminded me of The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, not only in story, with a girl living in a magical and technological world on a quest with a guy friend, but also in the writing style. Sometimes I wasn't sure what was happening, but once I did a little read over, I understood. The writing in this book was good and sometimes extremely beautiful, but just like TGC, it was under-ly described and then overly described which irked my nerves, but didn't in the least bit make me want to stop reading, but did make me need to put the book down for a while to reflect over what was happening.


This book is big and has a lot going on, even when nothing is actually going on. You can guess somethings what will happen like with all books, but the story also has many, many plot twist that will excite and force you to read on to know whats happening.


Aoife was very great and feisty. She was strong-willed and realistic while still maintaining her childish qualities which was pretty great. She was brash and didn't let any of the snobby girls or people in general get her down.


ALSO, this book has some mjrly creepy moments that sent chills up my arm and I loved it! This books is really darn good, so everyone who loves YA and Steampunk fiction, must read it!


Story: 4.5/5
Pace: 4/5
Originality: 3.5/5
Characters: 3.5/5
Writing: 4/5
Ending: 4/5


 
The Total Score is A 4!

 
Visit the Author Here: http://www.caitlinkittredge.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment